Multicultural Family Resource Society (MFRS) is a non-profit committed to improving the well-being of immigrant and refugee children, youth, and families. We believe in:
- Family-driven and participatory programming
- Equitable access to opportunities, programs, and resources for immigrant and refugee families, and
- Ongoing reflection and evaluation to ensure our programs make a difference for families and communities.
Since 2005, Multicultural Family Resource Society has worked alongside its sister organization, the Multicultural Health Brokers, to build an intercultural community of support. MFRS was created by and for immigrant and refugee families who dared to dream of an inclusive, intercultural, and equitable Edmonton for their children.
To support immigrant and refugee families to thrive through culturally responsive and participant driven programs and services that reduce social isolation, enhance knowledge and skills, and increase access to community supports and intercultural opportunities, thereby encouraging health and wellbeing, reducing poverty, and empowering families to confidently walk in multiple cultures.
What We've Achieved in 2016
- MFRS responded to the arrival of 1795 Syrian refugees that arrived in Edmonton by providing holistic family cultural brokering support at our new Satellite Family Support Office
- The eighth annual Multicultural Celebration event had 535 participants representing over 21 languages
- Support for over 20 festive celebrations that provided a meal and community networking for over 2500 newcomers
- 15,787 volunteer hours given to our parent/child programs
- Established new culturally responsive strategies to open up the conversation around sexual health & violence in ethnocultural communities
- Enhanced programming to better respond to growing participation and added new groups including a men's group in the Ethiopian & Eritrean community