Summer Job Opportunities - Junior Program Assistant
Posted May 3, 2017
Position Title: Junior Program Assistant (2 positions)
MFRS is a charitable organization in Edmonton that provides programming for immigrant and refugee families and youth to enhance their skills, knowledge, and confidence for social integration. In the last 12 years, we have provided supports and programs to over 20,000 newcomers in Edmonton. We are looking for a summer student who understands the realities of newcomers and want to be part of building an intercultural community of support for immigrant and refugee youth.
The Junior Program Assistant will be primarily responsible for providing program support to Program Coordinators for our Youth Programs. One Junior Program Assistant will be assigned to our Satellite office working with Syrian Refugee youth and families. Duties involve: program administrative support, creating communications materials for programs, preparing workshop and outreach materials, and co-facilitate program workshops or presentations. Prepare facilities and activities for programs followed by clean-up.
• Workshop planning experience, office administration
• Working with immigrant and refugee youth
• Working in an intercultural space
• Understanding of culturally responsive programming
• Secondary or post-secondary student enrolled in an education program for September 2017.
• Highly proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) and Mac system
• Social media and digital communications technology
• Organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects at one time
• Attention to detail and strong planning skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
• Police Security Check and Child Welfare Check required.
• Second language fluency an asset.
• Program facilitation desirable or a willingness to learn.
• Communications-the ability to understand others and to respond in an appropriate and respectful manner
• Openness to intercultural learning and environments
• Self-awareness-the ability to understand oneself and the impact that one’s perceptions and attitudes have on others
• Focus on outcomes and plan/drive for results
• Agility-function as a role model of how to effectively work through change and how to adapt your approach, even in times of uncertainty
• Work effectively and respectfully with youth and diverse communities.
Location: Edmonton Intercultural Center or Satellite Office
Time Commitment: Full Time 40 hours a week; evenings and weekends will be required depending on program schedule.
Start Date: June 19th, 2017 End Date: August 18th, 2017 (9 weeks)
Rate of Pay: $12.20 hour
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@mfrsedmonton.org. Deadline for submission Friday May 19th, 2017 at 4pm.