Posted May 3, 2017
Position Title: Program Assistant
MFRS is a charitable organization in Edmonton that provides programming for immigrant and refugee families and youth to enhance their skills, knowledge, and confidence for social integration. In the last 12 years, we have provided supports and programs to over 20,000 newcomers in Edmonton. We are looking for a summer student who understands the realities of newcomers and want to be part of building an intercultural community of support for immigrant and refugee families.
The Program Assistant will primarily responsible for providing administrative and program support to MFRS Program Coordinators for our Parent and Child Groups; Youth Summer Program; Girls Program; and Fund Development Program. Duties involve: creating communications materials for programs, preparing workshop and outreach materials, data collection for reporting, community outreach activities at events, collect and create digital media materials for promotion, and provide administrative support to the Executive Director. At times, there may be opportunities for the Program Assistant to deliver workshops or presentations in the community.
• Office administration, communications, or workshop planning experience
• Working in an intercultural space and understanding of culturally responsive programming
• Must be returning Secondary or post-secondary student enrolled in an education program for September 2017. Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
• Highly proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) and Mac system
• Social media and digital communications technology
• Organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects at one time
• Attention to detail and strong planning skills • Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
• Police Security Check and Child Welfare Check required.
• Second language fluency an asset.
• Program facilitation desirable or a willingness to learn.
• Communications-the ability to understand others and to respond in an appropriate and respectful manner
• Openness to intercultural learning and environments
• Self-awareness-the ability to understand oneself and the impact that one’s perceptions and attitudes have on others
• Focus on outcomes and plan/drive for results
• Agility-function as a role model of how to effectively work through change and how to adapt your approach, even in times of uncertainty
• Work effectively and respectfully with youth and diverse communities.
Location: Edmonton Intercultural Center Number of Positions: 1
Time Commitment: Full Time 40 hours a week; weekends and evenings will be required depending on programming needs.
Start Date: June 5 th, 2017 (negotiable) End Date: August 4th, 2017 (9 weeks total) Rate of Pay: $12.20-$15/hour depending on experience
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@mfrsedmonton.org. Deadline for submission Friday May 19th, 2017 at 4pm.