Title: Bookkeeper and Administrative Support
Hours: Part Time 0.4FTE (15 Hours/Week)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Length of Contract: On-going
Reports to: Co-Executive Directors
Probation Period: 3 months
MFRS is a charitable organization in Edmonton that provides programming for immigrant and refugee families and youth to enhance their skills, knowledge, and confidence for social integration. In the last 12 years, we have provided supports and programs to over 20,000 newcomers in Edmonton. As migration to Edmonton continues to increase, so does the demand for our services using our unique Nested Service Delivery Model and Cultural Brokering approach. We are looking for someone who has experience bookkeeping for non-profits.
Summary of Position:
The successful candidate would be responsible for a full cycle accounting system. The maintenance of accurate records and control reports along with enforcing the accounting policies, procedures and controls set forth by MFRS. Not-for-profit booking experience is an asset in this position.
· Using Quickbooks software, process payables/receivables, maintain general ledgers, and reconcile bank accounts
· Record income and make bank deposits
· AGLC: monitor spending and prepare annual financial reports for AGLC Casino funds
· Assemble paperwork and information for external auditors for the annual audit
· Process payroll using Ceridian in a timely manner and enter payroll information into Quickbooks
· Work closely with management and staff to prepare specific program and overall organizational budgets using Excel
· Enter budgets in Quickbooks , monitor budget vs actual spending and report significant variances to management
· Provide financial information for applications and reports to multiple funders in compliance with their specific requirements
· Assist with the preparation of contracts for term employees and service providers and monitor and prepare payments
· Liaise with funders and service providers as necessary
· Process donations from various sources (eg. Canadahelps, Benevity, Blackbaud, cheques, and cash)
· Prepare charity receipts and assist in maintaining a donor database
· Meet multiple deadlines and provide monthly and year-end financial reports for the Board
· Prepare bi-annual GST rebate applications
· Apply for Canada Summer Jobs positions annually, maintain proper payroll records and submit final claims for these positions
· Process Emergency Fund successful applications and follow up paperwork and financial reporting
· Maintain an orderly accounting (digital and paper) filing system
· Provide administrative and accounting support as required
Skill and Abilities:
· Dynamic individual with strong time management, interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills.
· Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance accounting team effectiveness.
· Establish and promote a “can do” operational philosophy that is both proactive and responsive.
· Proven ability to operate successfully in a demanding environment, demonstrable track record of high performance.
· Assess situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
· Take initiative where appropriate and follow through on all projects on a timely manner.
· Set priorities, develop a work schedule and monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
· Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensures own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
· Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
· High level of accuracy and attention to detail, team player and ability to multi-task and work in a not for profit environment.
· Working knowledge of internal controls.
· Ability to practice discretion and utmost confidentiality.
· Professional appearance and demeanor.
· Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and have a strong commitment to providing quality service in a not for profit multicultural environment.
Experience and Key Competencies:
· Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
· At least 5 years experience with full-cycle bookkeeping, preferably in the non-profit sector
· High degree of competence and comfort with Quickbooks and Excel
· Experience working with various funders and funding agreements
· Experience tracking revenue/expenditures based on funding received
· Excellent organizational and communication skills
· Ability to work and respond quickly and accurately
· Proficiency with general computer software
Application submission details:
Please submit your complete resume along with a cover letter to HR@mfrsedmonton.org
In your cover letter, please share with us how your skills and experiences have been applied in a not-for-profit context (or how you see your experience transferring over to a not-for-profit context) and any knowledge you have of the not-for-profit sector (i.e. the strengths and challenges for not-for-profits). Please keep your cover letter to one-page in length.
Deadline for submission is September 15th, 2018 at 4:30pm MST.
We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Resumes without a cover letter will be deemed as an incomplete application and will not be accepted. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
*By applying you may be considered for other positions commensurate to your qualifications and experience within the Agency.